CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Millennium Falcon Tutorial

A friend of mine asked me to make a Millennium Falcon cake for her boyfriend. I agreed under the pretense that it was not going to look like the perfection of cake that she emailed me. Especially since she said he didn't want it covered in fondant. And to make it even harder, she wanted it iced in cream cheese icing. Covering a red velvet cake has always been hard for me, but I have been able to cover it in fondant. This was definitely going to be a challenge so I decided to document my journey.

First Step: I decided that I would bake the cake in two different cake pans. I believe I used an 8 inch round and a 6 inch square. Then I went online and found a template of the ship. I enlarged it the size I needed and printed it out.


Second step: I used the template to carve the cake. I trimmed down the round part of the cake, then used the excess to form the top of the ship.


Third step: I dirty iced the cake.


Fourth step: I put the cake in the fridge for about half a hour so it would harden the cream cheese icing a little. Then I iced it again to make sure you couldn't see red velvet crumbs.


Fifth step: I put the cake back in the fridge for another half hour. Then I used a soft paint roller and smoothed the icing. Using tip #2, I piped the details of the ship. I used gum paste to make the dish and gun. I air brushed the whole cake with black icing color accenting different areas to hopefully give it some depth.
Here is the finished product:






0 comments: